Knights of Columbus Coats for Kids
What is Coats for Kids?
The Knights of Columbus strongly believe that no child should have to fight off the cold of winter without a decent coat.
How does it work?
The Knights provide kids with brand new high quality coats ($20 per coat) that are shipped to our local council in boxes of 12. Our council has already purchased the first 6 cases and 72 coats are on their way! We have reached out to administrators within St. Gerald School and Ralston Public Schools to arrange distribution through the schools. Since 2018 together we have raised over $43,000 and given away over 1,870 coats!
When will this happen?
September 17/18 and 24/25, 2022! For details on how to donate via the collection basket at church, by mail, by Paypal, or by Venmo, please read this flyer.
Welcome to the web page of the Knights of Columbus Council #9518 of St. Gerald Catholic Church in Ralston, Nebraska. We invite all practicing Catholic men of our parish age 18 and older to join our ranks and take a more active role in their faith.
To keep up with the latest information from our council, please visit our Facebook page
. For general information about the Knights of Columbus, please visit the Knights of Columbus website
for additional information on upcoming events.
Generally, our council meets the 3rd Thursday of every month at 7 p.m. We start our meetings with either a mass or communion service in the 96th & Q Street adoration chapel. All members are invited to attend our general meeting.
Our Council's Activities in 2021
- Donated $500 each to four seminarians (May)
- Participated in parish-wide Corpus Christi procession (June)
- Held 2 Corporate Communion and Family Rosaries for Knights, families and friends (5th Sunday of the month)
- Hosted a Memorial Mass for all deceased Brother Knights and deceased spouses (November)
- Coordinated 4 very successful parish-wide food drives collecting over 13,000 lbs. benefiting Tri-City Food Pantry and Catholic Charities (throughout the year)
- Assisted with set up and serving parish Welcome Back Picnic (June)
- Hosted a "free will" Back-to School Breakfast (August)
- Sold Pears Coffee to help fund Catholic education in Guatemala and support our own parish St Vincent DePaul Society (December)
- Served 6 parish-wide "drive thru" Lenten Fish Dinners with proceeds to parish needs (Lent)
- Awarded $5,000 in high school scholarships to St. Gerald students (April)
- Co-Sponsored the Fr. William A. Foster Golf Tournament with proceeds to the Fr. Foster Endowment Fund (May)
- Participated in the Ralston Independence Day Parade (July)
- Sponsored two Red Cross Blood Drives (June/October)
- Donated 549 new coats, gloves and hats to needy children in our parish and the Ralston & Omaha School Districts via our Coats for Kids program (September/October/November)
- Served 2 Pulled Pork "Drive-Thru" Dinners (January / May)
- Hosted the annual Turkey Bingo with proceeds to the St Gerald Scholarship Fund (November)
- Participated in the Salvation Army's Thanksgiving Turkey Fest helping prepare and deliver meals to needy families (November)
- Collected $1,224 in our annual Buck-A-Month campaign with proceeds to Bethlehem House (January)
- Collected and donated $2,366 to the Knights of Columbus One Rose, One Life Campaign (January)
- Participated in Mother's Day Rose Sale benefiting Essential Pregnancy Service (May)
- Participated in city-wide Pro-Life Chain (October)
- Collected donations totaling $1,478 in our annual Tootsie Roll Drive with proceeds to Ralston Special Olympics (October)
- Donated over $5,100 to various other church and community charities; i.e. KVSS Spirit Catholic Radio, Francis House Ministries, John Paul II Newman Center, St. Thomas More Society and St Gerald facilities
As always, thank you for your continued participation and financial support!
About Our Council
Council #9518 was chartered in 1987 and is named after Fr. William A. Foster. We are affiliated with St. Gerald Parish in Ralston and many other organizations within the Ralston & Omaha metro area. We started our Council with 46 charter members with the first Chaplain being Fr. William A. Foster and the first Grand Knight, Jim McNamara. Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism are the cornerstones of our Order which focuses on active involvement by our members in the areas of church, community, council, family and youth.
There are over 2,600 families at St. Gerald Parish. We currently have a nice mix of younger and more seasoned members which has given our council a wonderful balance of energy and character. With all the Family, Youth, Service, Parish, and Community Activities that we sponsor every year we believe there are many reasons to join Council #9518.
About the Knights of Columbus
The Knights of Columbus offers men a place to lead their families and communities in faith and service and put their Faith into Action. Knights of Columbus members, parishes and families have the opportunity to make a meaningful difference through 32 Supreme Council-recommended programs.
Organized into Faith, Family, Community and Life categories, the Faith in Action program model empowers Knights to come together to share faith, celebrate fraternity with loved ones, and do what they do best - stand shoulder to shoulder in service to the community and to defend life at all stages and in every condition.
Grow in faith and build a strong parish and Church. Aid priests and religious in formation, honor Mary, mother of God, and engage in serious spiritual reflections and religious education activities.
Strengthen families through faith and service. Socialize and pray with other faith-filled Catholic families through special events, religious services and volunteer opportunities.
Make a powerful difference in your community. Help those less fortunate with the basic human needs of clothing, shelter, mobility and compassion.
Create a culture of life. Assist pregnant women in need, care for the elderly, aid the handicapped and empower those with special needs to realize their full potential.